A Halo 2 Anniversary game is all but confirmed for a fall/holiday release in 2014. Bonnie Ross, General Manager of 343 Industries hinted at E3 2013 about a “Journey, rather than a destination-and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap”. While “Halo 5: Guardians” is slated for a 2015 release, no Halo games have officially been announced for 2014. Many fans assume her statement may allude to the Halo TV series or digital feature developed by Microsoft and famed “Alien” director, Ridley Scott, but it’s more than a fair assumption that a Halo 2 anniversary edition is in the works.
According to LinkedIn profiles of several “Certain Affinity” employees, the studio which previously worked with 343 on “Halo 4” and” Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary” is working on another unannounced project and researching next gen development, with a rumored release for November 2014. When we take this info (with a grain of salt), and the following:
- Bonnie Ross’s statement (above)
- Numerous retail leaks describing a Halo Anniversary War Edition (rumored to be a re-release of Halo 1, 2, 3, and 4 for the Xbox One),
- Microsoft nor 343 have denied the claims
- Rumored release window mirrors the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary of November 15, 2011
- Microsoft’s lack of another big 1st party game to move next gen consoles this holiday season (Halo 5 confirmed for 2015 and Gears of War from Black Tusk slated for 2016)
It is safe to assume that we’ll be getting a Halo 2 anniversary game this fall. Expect an official announcement at E3 (I’d bet my job on it). So long as the multiplayer of Halo 2 is untouched, super jump glitches and all, Halo fans old and new will line up to support the Chief.
– Alex Reyes